Saturday, June 19, 2010

What Kind of Stories do I Want to Tell?


Yesterday, I went out to lunch with a few friends. While we were waiting for our food, my friend Megan (who looks like she could be my sister) turned to me and asked me what kind of movies I wanted to make.

I didn't know.

Ryan and I watch the Next Food Network Star on Sunday nights. Last week, a girl went home because each time the judges asked her what kind of food she wanted to make, she didn't have a clear answer. We felt bad for her. I don't want to be that girl. I need to find my film voice.



Really, I have plenty of time for self-discovery. I have always admired directors like Danny Boyle and Steven Spielberg because they manage to work in many different genres, but still tell great stories. That's what I want to do. I'm up for anything as long as there is a good story involved. I want to tell stories that inspire and entertain - stories that matter to me.

The only things I can definitely rule out are slasher films and depressing suicidal movies (unless they have a point).

But to me, the story, the characters, and the people (both those who help make the film and those who watch it) are the most important things.

From there, why can't I make horror movies, thrillers, action extravaganzas, romances, comedies, and family dramas? In fact, who says I can't mix them. Horror meets romance. It's all up to me.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to see a thriller/romcom/adventure/anything blended film from you, Chad! Haha your aspirations are inspiring lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks Cindy!

    I just want to have fun! And make good movies. I'm really excited!

    ReplyDelete