Sunday, June 13, 2010

Oh These Summer Nights...


Last night, after returning from the Catholic Men's Conference, I met up with my sweetheart Alaina (you'll meet her later) and my brother Ryan (you'll meet him later too). Together, we headed to Rey Azteca, the local Mexican restaurant where Alaina and her amazing mother are employed.

I tried the coffee for the first time. It was delicioso! Rey Azteca coffee is brewed with cinnamon, and I recommend it. We also feasted on chocolate chicken and discussed all of life's great difficulties. Throughout the night, I was playing with a small container of half-and-half. Right before leaving, I squeezed a bit too tightly. It exploded all over myself and the window.


After dropping Ryan off, I joined Alaina at her house. Sprawled out on her bed with her rowdy dog Hercules, we watched Adventureland on her two-inch television.
We loved Adventureland! It's helmed by the director of Superbad Greg Mottola. Except unlike Superbad, he actually wrote Adventureland. It's a sort of memoir of his teenage years. While Adventureland has its moments, it is not nearly as vulgar as Superbad. Instead, it's more sweet and real in an almost John Hughes sort of way. I boycott Twilight, but Kristen Stewart and all the other actors were awesome.

Not to mention, it takes place in the 80s, has a killer soundtrack, and involves Kristen Wiig (reason alone to see it).

After the movie, the night sort of turned reflective (and almost depressing). I guess that life is just strange, yet beautiful. Everyone makes mistakes. The key is to fix them - and then savor those truly special moments - even if they are as simple as a small TV, a boy, a girl, a movie, and a dog.

So, if you've been putting off seeing Adventureland (which has been out forever), change that. Until then, turn up your volume and jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJUrt0O7uY

1 comment:

  1. I don't want to be rude to you anymore.

    I'll just call you.

    ReplyDelete