Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I Want to Dance

I just had the urge to dance. Like fun dancing. Goofy, awkward, flinging arms everywhere dancing. And I want to laugh.

Last night, Ryan and I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I read about the movie online. It received good reviews and everyone was talking about how much they liked it. Despite it's 2.5 hour running time, I was assured that it was thrilling.

I have to disagree. Ryan and I were bored. While the girl who plays Lisbeth (the girl with the dragon tattoo) was cool, it was hard to stay interested. I realize that converting a story from book form to movie form is really difficult. So, I don't usually try to compare the two. I hate it when people label a Harry Potter film as awful because it left out a half of a page of the book. I don't even care if the movie has plot changes. At the end of the day, the film has to stand on its own as a good piece of art.

But the changes made to the film version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo were weird and awkward. Unlike the book, I thought the movie was flat. It never got more thrilling or climaxed.

And finally, it pushed the whole feminist thing way too much. The book dealt with the issue of female abuse in a cool way that befitted the story. On the other hand, the movie included an extended rape scene (that was awkward to watch with Ryan) and numerous murder pictures. When the long movie should have been ending, Lisbeth had a long conversation with her mom about the abuse she suffered from her father. I think this is a plot development from the second novel. It didn't need to be in the first movie. Last, an important character from the book wad dead in the movie. Why. Here's the exact line: "Anita had a successful career before tragically dying of breast cancer." Why not? Let's throw breast cancer awareness in there too. The line sounded ridiculous even is Swedish.

Sorry for complaining. I know you don't care. The experience wasn't totally awful.The film's un-American sex scenes sparked interesting conversation between Ryan and me. And in the scene where Lisbeth removes her shirt to reveal armpit hair, Ryan did a double take. I forgot Swedish girls rolled like that. Hot.

Before going to bed, we watched a little bit of the documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated for a good laugh.



As I worked on stuff today, I've been listening to Conditions by the Temper Trap. It's really good. Why haven't I bought that album yet?


11 days until Christmas!

I know it's not a Christmas song, but here's Love Lost by the Temper Trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment