Saturday, September 25, 2010

Taking Flight

I have the sudden urge to fly somewhere. It doesn't matter where. Who's with me?

The cross country invitational today was fun. In tribute to a past runner, the guys wore tube socks and pre-wrap headbands. I looked sexy in my 80s running style. It was a good race.

As usual on invitational days, I am now pooped. So even though I have a buttload of stuff to do, I am taking the night off. After we got home, Alaina and I laid around my house for three hours.

I want to talk about the future. I named this blog "Trekking to Adulthood." I am definitely trekking. But I can trek to wherever I want. And right now, I like where I am headed. I know who I am and what I want to be.

For instance, I know that I am going to follow my dreams. I want to be a filmmaker. And everyone else can suck it. That's right, I said it.

My old religion teacher (one of the best teachers I ever had) once said that there is a big problem with today's education system. It is geared toward the goal of getting kids good jobs that make a lot of money. He said that somewhere along the way, teachers forgot to tell their students to go after their dreams. And he told us to dream every day.

Unfortunately, he was right. Filmmaking is not a "safe" job. Art is not a "safe" job. Fashion is not a "safe" job. Writing is not a "safe" job.
Who cares?

I am currently working on an essay for a scholarship program. The program wants to know about obstacles that I have overcome - along the lines of family death, hardship, poverty, etc. Well, I haven't had to endure any of those. But I have had other obstacles.

Living in a small town, I have tried to make movies. No film classes. No budget. No support from city managers.

Most people in my town stare at me like I'm looney when I tell them my intended major. You want to know the truth? I love that blank stare. I just smile.

Most people in my senior class are planning to be physician's assistants, engineers, doctors, whatever. Great for them. If they love it.

I am going to do what I love. Luckily, I have supportive parents. Thank you mom and dad. And my friends and role models are there for me too.

I am not afraid. I am taking a chance. I not interested in money. I am interested in passion. I am actually going to attempt to go somewhere outside of my city's limits. People want to know why in the world I would want to go to school so far away. Distance is not an issue to me. I can get a job and hop on a plane.

I'm not sure where I am going with all of this. But I think that some things in live are worth it. I don't want to be one of those people that choose a "safe" life and then regret it for the rest of forever. Everyone out there (that means you Alaina and Christina), don't give up.

I submitted my Florida State Film School personal statement last night. It was about my motivation to become a filmmaker. It ended with "The adventure starts here."

Arcade Fire has their new album Suburbs out. This is "Ready to Start." I like it.

4 comments:

  1. Chad you're finally showing the moxie I don't see often...may your passion drive you to success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I agree with the thing about everyone going into medicine because it's safe....it bothers me because I want to do good for people. People do it for money and money is the wrong reason to live....

    lolz sorry for the two cents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so inspirational. Thank you Chad :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Thanks guys. And Cindy, you're right! I just think people should do it because they like it.

    ReplyDelete